Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wish my Hands and Machine could sew as fast as my Head comes up with ideas.

I am at a space and time in my life of realizing what I have always yearned to do.... design and create with fabric  I have been dying my own fabrics for a year and designing my own quilts. Most have turned out like I wanted.  I have learned and taken that knowledge to the next design. 

My sketch book is full of ideas. Recently I have jumped out of the walls and gone for it!  I sent three quilts off to be quilted and was blown away by the comments I got back from Linda. She encouraged me to take my quilting further. She said:

  • Start a blog!
  • Write up your designs
  • Contact fabric companies
  • Get an account with Jeffersons
  • Exhibit your quilts
The comment that gave me the motivation -- you have an outstanding sense of design... and she gave me the guidance. I have already in one day accomplished two of the items. Now I am working on the blog. I have had a blog for years - but used it for my teaching and then personal goals. Now I will create a new one to show case my quilts.  Once I get my quilts back I will get the bindings on and look at where they can be exhibited... not sure I am ready for the judging - but that would be next.

I have been working on a quilt this past week, I ended up taking all the borders off some of the blocks tonight as they just did not fit... so put on a trial change of colour, but need to wait for daylight to check to see if they work better.... or will they all be red.. just thinking it may be too much red.

I also ordered fabric from Hamel's yesterday to make another wonky block and wonky circle quilt so I can take pictures as I make the quilt.  Also, I will make up the one I had designed from the jelly rolls.  Once I am back at the lake I will dye fabric and start on the design with greys and turquoise that I started last Fall....

No comments:

Post a Comment